A lot of folks believe that if they could just get in touch with the right people, they’d have all the publicity they need, but you’ll need more than an email address to get a media contact’s attention, and you’ll need more than a website to keep it.
The thing is, there are thousands of people who are just as eager and worthy of attention as you are, and they’re all reaching out to the same handful of contacts, and those contacts are sifting through a zillion emails every day.
So, before you ask a publicist “Who should I talk to?” you’ll need to answer a few questions for yourself, like “What do media contacts want to know?”, “How do I make myself stand out?”, and “How can I help them help me?”
And in this episode, we’ll answer all those questions and more as we talk about: what to include in your email pitch, what every lead wants to hear, why it’s critical that you develop strong and lasting relationships, why doing the work is always better than taking a shortcut, how not to waste your time and money, a classic book on networking that still holds true today, why you have to tailor your pitch, how many relationships it takes to sustain a business (hint: you could count them on two hands), and more!
To make sure that you’re looking your best online, schedule your Go-to-Market sessions with us, and we’ll assess your website, social media profiles, and digital tools based on our decades of experience, then tell you exactly what to do.
Send us your questions! We’ll share our answers in an upcoming podcast.
Highlights From This Episode:
- 4 things to include in your email pitch plus one thing to add
- What every lead is listening for and what they’re not trying to do
- 3 things that every lead wants to know about you
- Your first steps for developing relationships with people you want to pitch to
- How you waste everybody’s time when you don’t do basic research
- Why cold-lead lists are a waste of your time, money, and energy
- The surest way to get speaking gigs
- What you need to know if you don’t know the person who you’re pitching to
- 100% natural ways to build the relationships that will build your business
- This 5-star networking book is a decade old, but the strategies still work
- What media contacts will do before they even think about replying to your email
- Why it’s crucial that your pitch is targeted to your niche
- How Gary Vaynerchuk started out, which may surprise you
- Why you should never copy-paste your pitch
- How many solid relationships it takes for your business to survive (don’t worry, it’s less than 50)
- The 5 things you need to do to develop relationships with your customers
- How to hop off the networking hamster wheel
- Is converting leads really a numbers game? (Here’s a hint: NO!)
- How your mentor can help you make connections quickly and easily
- A shout-out to more of our listeners!
Resources Mentioned (Preferred):
Did you enjoy this episode?
Thank you for joining us on this episode of the Digital Business Acceleration podcast! If you enjoyed this episode, please leave us a 5 star rating and review on iTunes to help us reach even more entrepreneurs and business owners.
Don’t forget to download your copy of our 7 Systems Blueprint so you know exactly how to get your business to thrive online.