We’ve been consulting with a lot of people who are retiring after 30 years in their field, and now they’re eager to build a business around their decades of expertise … but doesn’t it take months to build a business website, with a blog and a podcast and everything?
Well, it can – and if you’re taking the time to really think things through, it probably will – but you don’t need a full-blown website to get your business off the ground. In fact, you can start with just one well-equipped web page, and then build out from there.
In this episode, we list your crucial first steps in sequence, because when you’re starting a business online, the order you do things in is just as important as what you’re doing and how you’re doing it.
Listen in while we explain what to do when your ideal .COM name is taken, why branded email is so important, where building a website falls on your to-do list (hint: it’s nowhere near the top), why you need a great profile photo, what to bring to a photo shoot, what a One sheet is and why you need one, how to use LinkedIn as a bridge between your old job and your new business, and more!
Want a great start for your new business? Schedule a session with us, and we’ll look over what you’ve done so far, then tell you exactly what to do next.
Send in your questions! We’ll share our answers in an upcoming podcast.
Highlights From This Episode:
- Ready to build a business around your expertise? Here are your first two steps…
- What to do when your ideal .COM name is taken
- Why a branded email address is worth the money (and they cost less than a pizza)
- Grabbing your name on the big social media platforms? Visit these three sites, too…
- Why creating your website should be last on your list
- How the design of your website is shaped by your business model
- Why you need to build your email list even before you build out your website
- Why you need a great profile photo right at the start
- Can’t afford a professional photographer? That’s okay, but don’t do this…
- What a one sheet is, why you need one, and why the media loves them
- The 7 things you need to get started – and three of them cost less than $20
- How to optimize LinkedIn if you’re starting a business after having a job
- How your photographs can build and support your brand
- What to bring to your photo shoot
- Why you really need to have a podcast (and why you need to own its feed, too)
- Here’s whose advice you should always ignore
- Why you need to focus on just one of your special skills
- How the employee mindset can slow you down, trip you up, and hold you back – hey, we get it, we were stubborn once, too! 😊
Resources Mentioned (Preferred):
- Brand Yourself
- G Suite for branded email
- GoDaddy Domains
Did you enjoy this episode?
Thank you for joining us on this episode of the Digital Business Acceleration podcast! If you enjoyed this episode, please leave us a 5 star rating and review on iTunes to help us reach even more entrepreneurs and business owners.
Don’t forget to download your copy of our 7 Systems Blueprint so you know exactly how to get your business to thrive online.